Wednesday, June 18, 2014

 Red Robe (16x12) oil on panel

We've painted dozens of models in my studio over the years; so many in fact that I can't recall the names of the two depicted here... I like variety, so I try and get different a one each time, but still manage to hire some of the favorites from time to time. Once when I invited a group of friends to paint and the model didn't show up, I felt responsible so I got up on the stand myself (clothed of course)...



Lady in Black (14x11) 
oil pastel on paper

Boy, what an eye-opener! You tend to think (if you think about it all) that a model doesn't have to work that hard -- just hold still. Well about 20 minutes into the first session of a 3-hour long pose, I was getting a whole new perspective! By the time the pose was finished, I was stiff with back, leg and neck pain and very, very tired...and I was sitting in a comfy chair! 

I have had a very healthy respect for artists models ever since...
My hats off to them --






1 comment:

  1. Bonjour,
    Deux très jolies peintures... le rouge et le noir dirait Stendhal !
    J'aime la grâce qui se dégage dans chacune d'elles.
    Vous avez raison de rendre hommage aux modèles. Il n'est pas simple d'être un modèle et un bon modèle.

    ✺ Gros bisous ✺

    ReplyDelete